Store code in List rather than in SQL table?

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:31 PM
I like this concept quite a bit, but the code encapsulated in SQL in a custom database table seems too high a threshold to really get going.

Would it be possible to store the extensions in a SharePoint Feature folder, or a List or Document library rather than encapsulated in SQL?  I am envisioning the possibility of developing the extensions as files in a VS solution, that were then automagically bundled and deployed as a feature.
Coordinator
Dec 25, 2008 at 5:36 PM
We wrote it using SQL Tables as in our instance we always have a central database holding business data and global configuration, but I see no issue with the implementation evolving and moving towards a 100% pure SharePoint solution.

A feature folder seems the best option.

Would you like to help? I can add you as a developer if you know how you'd like to see it implemented.
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM

We've now done this.

The customisations are now encapsulated in an Xml file that describes all relevant parts of a single customisation (JavaScript, CSS, JSON).

This Xml then is placed in the PropertyBag of a Site or SiteCollection.

The result of this is that the database is no longer required, and that the customisations become memory resident in the SharePoint process where they can be served to applicable sites with virtually no overhead.